01/10/2020 A manager wears many hats. They are most known to handle all the planning, organising, leading, controlling, and execution of everything in their scope of work. Their role is very crucial to any kind of organisation and at most times, success relies on their hands.
Now, not many people acknowledge the importance of having good managers. As long as they can produce the output, the process doesn’t matter. Google also tried to prove something similar when they launched Project Oxygen in 2008. The goal is to also prove that managers don’t really have an impact on performance. However, after collecting all the data, they have come to a complete opposite of what they want to achieve – that good management can actually make a huge difference.
To achieve good management, a good manager is needed. But, you should remember that great employees don’t always make the best managers. Most great employees tend to want to focus only on their work and nothing else. They might have great technical skills, but it doesn’t mean that they’d make a great manager. On the other hand, a perfect manager is fully equipped with leadership skills that not every employee has.
Being a good manager is not as easy as it sounds because it requires numerous criteria. Specifically when managing an offshore team from all walks of life is a definite challenge.
1. Gives an overview of the workIt should be a prerogative to let the employee know why they were chosen for a specific task or work. Give them an overview of their supposed task and tell them the impact it has on the business.
2. Describe the details of the new responsibilityTalk to the employee to discuss your desired outcome and clarify expectations. Tell them what you expect as the project progress. Also, give them the autonomy and freedom to learn from that experience.
3. Solicit questions, reactions, and suggestionsNever forget that effective communication is a two-way street. Let them ask all the questions that they have and answer them as much as you can. You can also ask for their honest suggestions and reactions to make the process better. And make sure that they have all the information that they need before hitting the road.
4. Listen to the delegatee’s comments and respond empatheticallyAs the manager, your people should feel safe and unjudged while voicing their concerns with you. Help them ease their anxiety by empathetically responding to their worries and regularly coming to you for help.
5. Share how this impacts the teamBrief your people on how each of their roles impacts the other members of the team. Teach them how to prioritise accordingly and make them understand the importance of their work.
6. Be encouragingThere is no better motivation for an employee but the encouragement of their boss. Make sure they understand that you’re trusting them to deliver results.
7. Establish checkpoints, results, deadlines, and ways to monitor progressAlthough your people have the autonomy, make sure that they also know the targets and deadlines to hit. As the manager, it is on you to establish checkpoints and other ways to monitor your people’s progress.
ConclusionA perfect manager knows the right ways on how to delegate tasks according to each person’s capability. Moreover, they help their people showcase the best of their abilities.
Meet some of these perfect managers in DBOS! As an Australian-owned offshore staffing company based in the Philippines, we aim to build high-quality output that benefits both the employee, client and the company. After establishing the head office in Araneta Center, Cubao 4 years ago, the company is now ready to expand the business and open another door in Eastwood City.
Anticipate the opening of our new office and help reduce your wages by up to 70% if you partner with us! Enquire now and get a free consultation with our very own CEO/Founder!
DBOS is an Australian-owned and managed, fast-growing offshore staffing company based in Manila, Philippines that provides world-class, personalised and affordable outsourcing services to businesses of any scale, specialising in assisting the SME market and a broad range of expertise across most ind…